Sunday, May 6, 2012

Among the pages: Anansi Boys

Just like me to write about a book. Don't you think? And to write about a book by Neil Gaiman, again. I can't seem to help it. Remember when I wrote about American Gods? This time it's Anansi boys.

Anansi Boys is a wonderful read. It's witty. Funny. Gripping. and sometimes a little sad. It's a story about family ties and brothers. It's a story about fathers and sons. Mostly it's an Anansi story. What's an Anansi story? I don't want to give the story away. I have been blamed countless times for giving away endings of books, tv shows, movies and so on, and told that I ruin the stories for people. But as one who reads the last page of a book first, I really don't get what the big deal is. You know what I mean? Or maybe you don't? So what I'm trying to say is, it's best if you get the book and read. And trust me, you will not regret it. It is that awesome!

If you are a fan of Neil Gaiman like me, then you probably have read Sandman and Stardust. The book Stardust is a little different from the lovely movie with the same name starring Michelle Pfeiffer. But that's not the point and I'm straying from the topic.

As I started to read Anansi Boys, I got a strange spidey feeling. I really don't know how to explain it, but it was only later I realised that it was because the book was about Anansi the spider God. That's how genius Neil Gaiman's writing really is.

What else is in it? There's a boy named Fat Charlie. And his brother who is called Spider. One a rather normal person and the other charismatic ans suave.

When you read the story you realise that the Gods aren't so different after all. And they are people too. That's how I felt anyway. So I thought I write this post because lately I've been feeling like I need to tell people my opinions. :)

Even if you are not a Gaiman fan or have not read a single one of his books yet, start with this one, It will have you hooked by the time you're done turning the cover page.

The funny thing is that for a while now, every time I went to a book store (which is frequently by the way) I've asked for any Neil Gaiman books. And the nice bookstore people have kindly informed me time and time again that they are out of stocks. Only one day for me to come home to find that my sister had found Anansi Boys. Here I am searching for them all over the place. But my sister, up gets and finds one.

So if you have time, find it. Read it.  And tell me how it went. I would also love to hear any of your thoughts on all things Neil Gaiman. :). I'm a little obsessed. Did you notice?

2 comments:

  1. :D U r just hoping I would give you the book to keep. IN YOUR DREAMS SISTER !

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment. :D